The Ones Who Are Waving
- Author: Glen Hirshberg
- Artist: Jonas Yip
- Page Count: 208
- Pub. Date: March 12, 2018
- ISBN: 978-1-58767-631-4
- Status: In-Stock
The Ones Who Are Waving: Stories of the Strange, Sad, and Wondrous
by Glen Hirshberg
About the Book:
With his latest collection, critically acclaimed and award-winning storyteller Glen Hirshberg offers a vivid travelogue through landscapes both geographical and emotional, on the way to destinations as wondrous as they are unsettling:
- Snowy St. Petersburg, Russia, where bears appear in the strangest places;
- The broiling Inland Empire east of Los Angeles where an unlikely cricket match gets interrupted by menaces spectral and otherwise;
- Earthquake-riddled Tokyo, where reality itself is cracking;
- The eastern Montana plains of Hirshberg's celebrated Halloween tale, “Mr. Dark's Carnival,” where the stories people tell prove as harrowing as the infamous Carnival itself. At least, until the night the Carnival comes back...
This volume also contains three linked adventures about The Collector, who trades in cryptic experiences at the edges of dreams: a grocery store in the desolate east of New Mexico which houses a collection too disturbing even for him; a marine repository for legendary, long-lost musical recordings; a bakery whose proprietor has developed a dessert a little too tasty for eating.
Having circled the globe, the book returns home to conclude with the luminous title story, a meditation on the ways fiction transforms writers and audience alike, inspired by the author's own performing experiences with the touring ghost story troupe known as The Rolling Darkness Revue.
Here, then, is a wanderer's lament. A ballad of discovery and its costs. A whistling stroll in the shadows with The Ones Who Are Waving.
Table of Contents:
Freedom is Space for the Spirit
A Small Part in the Pantomime
The Normal and Nadine Adventures: An Introductory Note
His Only Audience
A Note About the Rolling Dark
The Ones Who Are Waving
Published as a Signed Hardcover Limited Edition:
• Limited to just 600 signed and numbered copies
• Personally signed by the author on a unique signature page
• Printed on 60# acid-free paper
• Bound in full-cloth with colored head and tail bands
• Featuring hot foil stamping on the front boards and spine
• Printed and bound with full-color endpapers
• Smyth sewn to create a more durable binding
• Wrapped in a full-color dust jacket
• Limited ONE TIME printing of this special edition
• Retail price just $40
Reviews to come...
Glen Hirshberg's stories have earned him three International Horror Guild Awards and the Shirley Jackson Award. His previous collections include The Two Sams, American Morons, and The Janus Tree. He is also the author of five novels: The Snowman's Children, The Book of Bunk, and the Motherless Children trilogy (Motherless Child, Good Girls, and Nothing to Devour). With Peter Atkins and Dennis Etchison, he co-founded the Rolling Darkness Revue, a touring ghost story performance project. On his own, he founded the CREW program, through which he trains his most passionate students and then sends them into the surrounding community to run extended creative writing camps for children with minimal access to artistic instruction or formal outlets for expression. He teaches in the Los Angeles area, where he lives with his wife and children and cats.