- Editor: Al Sarrantonio
- Page Count: 704
- Pub. Date: 1999
- ISBN: 1-881475-97-2
- Status: Out of Print
edited by Al Sarrantonio
About the Book:
Hill House Publishers & Cemetery Dance Publications are proud to bring you the publication of the greatest original horror anthology since Dark Forces...
999 is a massive original anthology containing over a quarter-of-a-million words of completely new fiction. In 999, the world's best writers of horror and suspense have created a literary landmark that defines the field at the close of the 20th century!
In 999 you'll find ...
• A short novel by William Peter Blatty
• Novellas by Joyce Carol Oates, Joe R. Lansdale, and David Morrell
• Novelettes by Stephen King, Ramsey Campbell, Thomas Ligotti, Thomas F. Monteleone, Kim Newman, Eric Van Lustbader, and Gene Wolfe
• Short fiction by Tim Powers, T.E.D. Klein, Neil Gaiman, Dennis McKiernan, Rick Hautala, Stephen Spruill, Chet Williamson, Peter Schneider, Nancy A. Collins, P.D. Cacek, Edward Bryant, Al Sarrantonio, Ed Gorman, Thomas Disch, Edward Lee, Bentley Little, and Michael Marshall Smith
The Hill House/Cemetery Dance limited editions of 999 will be available this summer. 999 will be published by Avon Books in a trade hardcover edition in September of 1999. The limited editions will be a completely unique and elegant design. They are being designed by Marysarah Quinn, the designer of Stephen King's The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition.
Each limited edition will be signed by each one of the authors included in the collection (with the exception of Stephen King and Joyce Carol Oates), on a separate tip-in sheet that introduces the author's story.
Al Sarrantonio is the author of more than forty books. He is a winner of the Bram Stoker Award and has been a finalist for the World Fantasy Award, the British Fantasy Award, the International Horror Guild Award, the Locus Award and the Private Eye Writers of America Shamus Award.
His novels, spanning the horror, science fiction, fantasy, mystery and western genres, include Moonbane, Skeletons, House Haunted, The Five Worlds Trilogy, The Mars Trilogy, West Texas, Orangefield, and Hallows Eve, the last two part of his Halloween cycle of stories.
Hailed as "a master anthologist" by Booklist, he has edited numerous collections, including the highly acclaimed 999: New Stories of Horror and Suspense, Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction, Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy, and Halloween: New Poems.
His short stories have appeared in magazines such as Heavy Metal, Twilight Zone, Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, Realms of Fantasy, Analog, and Amazing, as well as in anthologies such as The Year's Best Horror Stories, Visions of Fantasy: Tales from the Masters, Great Ghost Stories, and The Best of Shadows. His best horror stories have been collected in Toybox, Hornets and Others, and Halloween and Other Seasons.
He has had numerous book club sales, and his work has been translated into more than a dozen languages and appeared in comic book form. He currently lives in New York's historic Hudson Valley region with his family.
Published in two states:
• A signed and numbered edition of 500 books in a fine leather binding and handsome presentation case ($125)
• A signed and lettered edition of 52 books ($350)