The Ruins: The Deluxe Special Edition
- Author: Scott Smith
- Artist: Glen Orbik
- Page Count: 336
- Pub. Date: August 21, 2014
- ISBN: 978-1-58767-306-1
- Status: Out of Print
"The Ruins is going to be America's literary shock-show this summer, doing for vacations in Mexico what Jaws did for beach weekends on Long Island."
— Stephen King
by Scott Smith
About the Book:
Trapped in the Mexican jungle, a group of friends stumble upon a creeping horror unlike anything they could ever imagine.Two young couples are on a lazy Mexican vacation–sun-drenched days, drunken nights, making friends with fellow tourists. When the brother of one of those friends disappears, they decide to venture into the jungle to look for him. What started out as a fun day-trip slowly spirals into a nightmare when they find an ancient ruins site... and the terrifying presence that lurks there.
Special Features Exclusive to this Special Collector's Edition:
• deluxe oversized design (7 inches X 10 inches)
• full-color cover artwork by Glen Orbik
• high-quality endpapers and fine bindings for both editions
• full-color signature sheets with exclusive artwork
• extremely collectible print run that is a tiny fraction of the MILLIONS of copies of this novel you've seen in bookstores — and you will NOT find our edition in chain bookstores!
At long last, Smith follows up his bestselling first novel, A Simple Plan, the film of which received an Oscar nomination for best screenplay, with a stunning horror thriller. Four American friends on vacation in Cancún, Mexico—Jeff, Amy, Eric and Stacy—meet a German tourist, Mathias, who persuades them to join his hunt for his younger brother, Henrich, last seen headed off with a new girlfriend toward some ruins. The four soon regret their impulsive decision after they find themselves lost in the jungle and freaked out by signs that they're headed for danger. Smith builds suspense through the slow accretion of telling details, until a deadly menace starts taking its toll, leaving the survivors increasingly at each other's throats. While admirers of such classic genre writers as John Wyndham or Algernon Blackwood may find the horror less suggestive than they might wish, the eerie atmosphere and compelling plot should appeal to fans of ABC's hit TV series Lost, who will help propel this page-turner up bestseller lists. Ben Stiller's production company has bought film rights.
— Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)
Published in two states:
• Hardcover Limited Edition of 748 signed and hand-numbered copies bound in full-cloth and Smyth sewn with a full-color dust jacket ($60)
• Deluxe Hardcover Lettered Edition of 52 signed and hand-lettered copies bound in leather, Smyth sewn with a satin ribbon page marker, raised hubs on the spine, custom gilded page edges dipped by hand, a full-color signature sheet, and featuring unique full color illustrated endpapers not appearing in any other edition ($300)
Visit our official production update page for the latest news and updates about this project.