The Shining: The Deluxe Special Edition
- Author: Stephen King
- Artist: Don Maitz
- Page Count: 568
- Pub. Date: June 5, 2017
- ISBN: 978-1-58767-530-0
- Status: Out of Print
The Shining: The Deluxe Special Edition
A Collectible Limited ONE TIME PRINTING featuring an introduction by Stephen King, an afterword by Mick Garris, color paintings by Don Maitz, and our biggest special feature in any book we've published to date:
"Before the Play," Stephen King's long lost 40 PAGE PROLOGUE to the novel, has been restored to its proper place at the beginning of the story!
Volume Three in The Stephen King Doubleday Years Set!
The Shining: The Deluxe Special Edition (Volume Three in the "Doubleday Years" Collection)
by Stephen King
Featuring full color wrap-around artwork by Don Maitz and full color interior paintings printed on a high-quality glossy stock and tipped into the book!
Note for Collectors:
This is the very first edition of The Shining published anywhere in the world to include Stephen King's original, uncut 40 page prologue entitled "Before the Play" restored at its proper place at the beginning of the story. This may end up being the only edition to ever present the complete story of the Overlook Hotel as King originally wrote it. In addition, there will be a Deleted Material section, which contains HUNDREDS of sentences, paragraphs, and even scenes not included in the final book we all know and love. Of particular interest is a four page section toward the end known as "After the Play," which even Stephen King believed had been lost forever because he didn't have a copy in his archives!
About the Book:
The Overlook Hotel claimed the most beautiful physical setting of any resort in the world; but Jack Torrance, the new winter caretaker, with his wife Wendy and their five-year-old son Danny, saw much more than its splendor.
Jack saw the Overlook as an opportunity, a desperate way back from failure and despair; Wendy saw this lonely sanctuary as a frail chance to perserve their family; and Danny? Danny, who was blessed or cursed with a shining, precognitive gift, saw visions hideously beyond the comprehension of a small boy. He sensed the evil coiled within the Overlook's 110 empty rooms; an evil that was waiting just for them.
The Shining, by Stephen King, the undisputed master of the modern horror story.
Special Features For This Deluxe Special Edition:
• an introduction by Stephen King
• an afterword by Mick Garris
• the complete text of "Before the Play," Stephen King's 40 page prologue that has never appeared in any edition of The Shining, restored at the beginning of the book where King originally intended it to be published
• a Deleted Material section, which contains HUNDREDS of sentences, paragraphs, and even scenes not included in the final book we all know and love. Of particular interest is a four page section toward the end known as "After the Play," which even Stephen King believed had been lost forever because he didn't have a copy in his archives!
• an essay entitled, "The Shine Manuscript: An Early Draft of The Shining" by Jon Page, the collector who discovered all of the text we're including in the Deleted Material section
• deluxe oversized design (7 inches X 10 inches) featuring two color interior printing as part of the page design
• printed on a heavy interior specialty paper stock that is much thicker than the paper in a normal trade edition
• custom-made slipcase for the Gift Edition, custom-made traycase for the Numbered Artist Edition, and custom-made three piece traycase for the Deluxe Lettered Artist Edition
• epic wrap-around full color dust jacket artwork by Don Maitz
• a different full color dust jacket for the Numbered Artist Edition painted by Don Maitz
• full color interior paintings by Don Maitz
• interior artwork will be printed on a heavy glossy stock and tipped into the book
• special limitation page artwork for all three editions by Glenn Chadbourne
• high-quality endpapers and fine bindings
• extremely collectible print run that is a tiny fraction of the TENS OF MILLIONS of copies of this novel you've seen in bookstores over the years!
Ordering Multiple Copies:
Please note that we cannot combine multiple orders, so if you want to save on shipping, please place one order.
If you live in the US, we strongly recommend you select UPS or Fed-Ex as your shipping method and have your order shipped to a street address. Shipments via Media Mail are shipped at your own risk. For certain editions with low print runs, there may not be any replacement copies available if packages are lost via Media Mail.
We charge what the post office will charge us to ship this item via Priority Mail International, which is the only method available for this book due to the size and weight. Our online checkout system can estimate shipping for multiple copies, multiple editions, or other locations. Just add the editions you want to your cart and begin the checkout process. You will see your shipping estimate on the Payment & Shipping page. (You are under no obligation to finish checking out.) This method will result in a much quicker shipping estimate than calling or emailing our office and we cannot be responsible if you miss out on an edition you want while waiting for our office staff to reply.
Note About Contacting Our Office:
If you have any questions about this item, please contact our office via email. We expect to be extremely busy responding to customer inquiries and general media requests for the next week, so it may take longer than normal for us to reply to you, but email is still the faster way to get a response since we answer questions from the office and from home.
Unfortunately, savings certificates, store credit, special offers, or other discounts cannot be applied to this item, and this item cannot be used to qualify for any special offer or discount or deal. If you are a retailer, please note that standing orders do not apply for this item — you need to email our office for more information.
Published in three states:
• Slipcased Oversized Hardcover Gift Edition of only 3,000 copies printed in two colors on a specialty paper stock; bound with a fine binding, two color hot foil stamping, and embossed endpapers; and featuring a unique black-and-white limitation page with artwork by Glenn Chadbourne ($95)
• Traycased Oversized Hardcover Numbered Artist Edition signed by the artists (Chadbourne and Maitz) and limited to only 750 hand-numbered copies printed in two colors on a specialty paper stock; bound with a different fine binding, two color hot foil stamping, and full color illustrated endpapers; a full-color signature sheet featuring artwork by Glenn Chadbourne; and housed in a traycase ($275)
• Traycased Oversized Hardcover Artist Lettered Edition signed by the artists (Chadbourne and Maitz) and limited to 52 hand-lettered copies printed in two colors on a specialty paper stock; bound in two different fine materials in a hand-made three piece binding featuring spine hubs, gilded page edges, two color hot foil stamping, and full color illustrated endpapers; a different full color signature sheet featuring artwork by Glenn Chadbourne; and housed in a unique "three piece" traycase ($1250)
Stephen King has written more than forty novels and two hundred short stories. He is the recipient of the 2003 National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters and he also received the O. Henry Award for his story "The Man in the Black Suit." His previous Cemetery Dance Publications special editions include two volumes of The Secretary of Dreams, the deluxe Limited Editions of From a Buick 8, Full Dark, No Stars, It: The 25th Anniversary Special Limited Edition, Doctor Sleep, Carrie, and the World's First Trade Editions of Blockade Billy and The Dark Man. King lives in Bangor, Maine, with his wife, novelist Tabitha King.
Over a thirty year career, Don Maitz has produced imaginative paintings that have amazed a worldwide audience. The iconic pirate character he created for Captain Morgan Spiced Rum is his most widely recognized work. Maitz has illustrated books by Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, C. J. Cherryh, Raymond Feist, Alan Dean Foster, Stephen King, Michael Moorcock, and occasionally, his wife artist and author, Janny Wurts. His amazing artwork can be found on book covers, in art book collections, in and on magazines and gracing licensed products. Original art can be found hanging at museums and within private collections.