Among the top Halloween urban legends that circulate each year is the idea that the candy your child accepts from strangers while trick-or-treating could be poisoned.
It was in wide circulation when I was of trick-or-treating age; I vividly remember my parents inspecting my candy haul piece-by-piece while I stood by impatiently. Of course, this was back in the ’70s, which means we didn’t have the Internet and we didn’t have Snopes.
According to this article, there’s no actual police record of people handing out poisoned candy to random children on Halloween. “Whew,” right?
Of course, in this day and age, it’s always good to be cautious. Besides, the article does not state that there’s never been a case of Halloween candy poisoning. If you follow the article to the end you’ll read about Ronald O’Bryan, whose eight-year-old son died of Cyanide poisoning in 1974. The source of the Cyanide? Pixie Stix. The identity of the poisoner? It’s shocking and sad, and worth a trip to Snopes to find out.
Monsters, it turns out, really do come out on Halloween.
Blu Gilliand is the managing editor of Cemetery Dance Magazine and Cemetery Dance Online.